Main Article Content
Islamic guidance and counseling (BKI) students as prospective counselors are required to master communication skills well as one of the characteristics of personality and professionalism that must be possessed. But sometimes, students experience anxiety when they start communicating with others in formal situations, such as academic situations. This study aims to look at the relationship between the frequency of BKI IAIN Parepare students in conducting positive self-talk with the level of communication apprehension. This study uses a quantitative approach. Data is collected by using The Self Talk Scale (Brinthaupt, Hein, & Kramer, 2009) and Personal Report Communication Apprehensioan Questionnaire (McCroskey, 1984). Linear regression analysis test is used to analyze the relationship between the frequency of self-talk with communication apprehension. The sample in this study amounted to 78 students consisting of 15 men and 70 women. The results showed that there was a relationship between the frequency of doing positive self-talk with the level of communication anxiety in students. The implication of this study shows that positive self-talk techniques can be used in a variety of guidance and counseling situations or daily activities in reducing anxiety levels and increasing student personal competence, especially those related to anxiety when conducting interpersonal communication.
- Fuad, M. (2009). Kualitas Pribadi Konselor: Urgensi dan Pengembangannya. Komunika: Jurnal Dakwah dan Komunikasi, Vol 3(2), hal 247-254.
- Nina Permata Sari & Muhammad Andri Setiawan. (2018). Membangun Kompetensi Profesionalisme Konselor Berwawasan Surah Al Ashr. Konselor, Vol 7(1), hal 9-13, DOI: 10.24036/02018718760-0-00
- Wilis, S.S. (2007). Konseling Individual Teori dan Praktek. Bandung:Alfabeta
- Nur, S. (Mahasiswa), Wawancara oleh Emilia. IAIN Parepare. Tanggal 3 Oktober 2019.
- Putri, A. (2016). Pentingnya Kualitas Pribadi Konselor Dalam Konseling Untuk Membangun Hubungan antar Konselor dan Konseli. Jurnal Bimbingan Konseling Indonesia, Vol 1(1), hal 10-13.
- Amir, N.B. & Witriani. (2019). Self-Esteem Berdasarkan Tingkat Communication Apprehension Pada Mahasiswa. Jurnal Psikologi Sains dan Profesi, Vol 3(1), hal 6-11.
- Devito, J.A. (2009). Essensials of Human Communication. Boston:Pearson.
- HASIBUAN, N. C. (2017). HUBUNGAN USIA, JENIS KELAMIN DAN ETNIS TERHADAP KECEMASAN KOMUNIKASI (COMMUNICATION APPREHENSION) PADA MAHASISWA DI FAKULTAS KEDOKTERAN UNIVERSITAS LAMPUNG.
- Thomaes, S., Tjaarda, I. C., Brummelman, E., & Sedikides, C. (2019). Effort Self‐Talk Benefits the Mathematics Performance of Children With Negative Competence Beliefs. Child Development.
- Brinthaupt, T. M. (2019). Individual differences in self-talk frequency: social isolation and cognitive disruption. Frontiers in psychology,